What is a Banana Split?
A banana split is a traditional American dessert made from ice cream (a variety of “Sande”), whose name can be translated as “banana in half”. According to one version, for the first time, it was sold at the pharmacy * of the town of Latrobe in the state of Pennsylvania in 1904. Dessert Creator – David Strickler, a soda seller, successfully sold it to local college students at a price twice the price of all other ice cream dishes.
Who invented the banana split ?
However, the truly famous banana split was later – in the 1920s. The credit for its promotion belongs to the pharmacy chain Volgrins, which by 1929 opened 397 branches in 87 cities across the country, where the banana split was served according to (or close to) Strickler’s recipe. Since the 30s of the 20th century, dessert has been firmly included in the culinary culture of the United States, remaining popular for many years.
In recent decades, the banana split is no longer so common and is available only in individual catering establishments, probably because of its high-calorie content. There are also many other dishes that are prepared “in the style of” a banana split:
- Bananas - 1
- Sugar Brown - 2 Teaspoons
- Chocolate Sauce - 2 Big Spoons
- Vanilla ice cream - 100 grams
- Butter - 20 grams
- Milk chocolate - 100 grams
How to make Banana Split?
- Wash the banana well and cut it into two halves together with the skin.
- Heat the pan and put the butter on it.
- Spread bananas with brown sugar and core them inwards into a frying pan.
- Fry them until golden brown.
- Put the ice cream out of the freezer and leave it at room temperature.
- For dessert, you need two balls of soft ice cream. It is best to choose ordinary cream without additives and dyes.
- Break a chocolate bar into squares.
- Prepare a water bath and place the chocolate in a saucepan. Melt the chocolate by gently stirring it with a wooden spatula.
- Peel a warm banana and place it on a dessert dish.
- Put ice cream on bananas on top, pour it with melted chocolate. Decorate the dessert with fruit or berries
Served on a plate in the form of a boat with a long dessert spoon.
Amount Per ServingCalories 620 Total Fat 29g Saturated Fat 18g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 55mg Sodium 173mg Carbohydrates 85g Fiber 5g Sugar 67g Protein 7g
Banana split dessert from pharmacies “Volgrins”
- Peel a fresh banana and divide it lengthwise into two parts.
- Place both halves of a banana on a glass dish in the shape of a boat.
- Place between them one ball of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream.
- Add chopped fresh pineapple and strawberry to ice cream, pour chocolate syrup over it. Spread whipped cream on each ball, sprinkle with chopped nuts and chocolate chips.
- Decorate each cream turret with a maraschino cherry with a petiole.
- At both ends of the dish, place two waffles with filling (sugar, vanilla or milk).
How to make Foster Bananas?
“Drunk” version of a banana split from Louisiana. This dessert was created in the famous “Brennan restaurant” in New Orleans and is named after Richard Foster, a regular customer of the restaurant who often ordered this dish.
- butter – 60 g;
- brown sugar – 230 g;
- cinnamon – 1/2 tsp;
- 4 bananas cut along;
- dark rum – 60 ml;
- banana liqueur – 60 ml;
- vanilla ice cream ball – 4 pcs.
Original Banana preparation:
- Combine butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a saucepan or pan suitable for flaming.
- Put the frying pan on a slow fire, stirring constantly, wait until the sugar dissolves.
- Add banana liqueur. When the bananas are soft and turn brown, carefully add the rum.
- Continue cooking the sauce until the rum warms up. To set the rum on fire, tilt the pan slightly.
- When the flame disappears, put the bananas on the plates, putting a ball of ice cream on each plate.
- Put sauce over ice cream and serve immediately.
How to make Healthy Banana Split?
Are you following a special diet of low- fat diet? Did you know that it’s so easy to make a healthy meal, just replace some ingredients
Vegan Banana Split– just replace Ice Cream with No-Churn Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream, and use dairy-free chocolate sauce. You will get a perfect dessert.