Keto bread is a mixture of almond flour, eggs, healthy fats, and xanthan gum. It is very similar to regular bread in texture but contains about 20 times fewer carbohydrates than regular bread.
Any keto bread can be divided into two categories – a complex recipe with different flours and a large number of carbohydrates in the composition (“cook for 3 hours, you can have one slice in two days”), or good bread almost every day, which crumble and taste slightly omelette. That is such a harsh life.
This bread recipe is from the second category, but firstly there are a few tricks to reduce crumbs and egg odour, and secondly, having a house of 0.5 kg of red caviar allows you to close your nose for any strange flavour. And with such a texture and ease of baking, I’m generally ready to forgive everything for this bread. It is perfectly frozen slices and ideal toasts come out of it.
Does your banana bread sink in the middle?
It happens sometimes, don’t be panic!. Quick bread does not like to stir too much, so just try to mix all the ingredients together (better not to do everything with a mixer, but with a spatula, you will see the result). Another culprit because of overflowing, the bread pan must be only half-filled. As always, make sure your baking powder — baking soda and baking powder — is not too old. Baking soda should be on the shelf for 6-9 months before buying a new one. And keep it in the fridge so that it lasts longer.
How to store banana bread?
Yes, you can freeze baked banana recipes. Most will stay fresh for 2-3 months in the freezer. Here some options: wrap it in parchment paper or freezer paper, then put it in a ziplock freezer bag. Instead of using a ziplock bag you can wrap it in foil or plastic wrap, you can also store banana bread at room temperature (wrapped tightly in plastic wrap) for 1-2 days; in the fridge (wrapped tightly in plastic wrap) for a one week
- 100 g soft butter
- 30 g coconut oil
- 7 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 200 g almond flour
- 0.5 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Beat mixers or whisk the blender for 1-2 minutes at room temperature eggs
- Add butter and coconut oil, beat a little
- Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. At this stage, mixing with a mixer will not work out very well - the dough very quickly becomes dense. I advise you to mix flour, salt, gum, and baking powder in advance, add a little, whipping. At the very end, gently mix the dough with a spatula.
- Place the dough in the bread pan, lined with baking paper. Level the surface of the bread with a spoon or spatula, if desired, you can decorate with sesame seeds.
- Bake for about 45 minutes. Check the readiness of the wooden stick - it should go dry from the center.
- Ready bread to get their shape and let cool on a wire rack.
- Eggs Make sure that your eggs are at room temperature – this greatly reduces the egg smell in the finished baking. Just remove them from the refrigerator for an hour, or put in a bowl with hot tap water for 3 minutes. Eggs are not cooked, but they will warm enough.
- Dry ingredients. I pre-mix all the dry ingredients with a fork before adding to the eggs with butter to make sure that the dough is homogeneous.
- Bakery products. Use silicone mould or be sure to use baking paper. Smooth the surface of the dough with a spatula or spoon so that the top is uniform. As soon as small cracks appear on top of the bread and it becomes golden in colour, you can check it with a toothpick for readiness.
- When you got the bread out of the oven, remove it from the mould by the edges of the baking paper and let it cool on a wire rack. This reduces the egg odour, and the result is better than cooling it down on the board or on the board.
- Butter. Wish you can change the butter to 0.5 glasses of olive, it will give you a similar result. If you do not like the coconut smell – buy refined coconut oil, it does not smell of coconut at all, for example, this one.
- Replacing almond flour. If you want to bake bread without nuts, you can substitute coconut flour. In this case, you will need 120 g of coconut flour.
- Bread storage. I cut the cooled bread into slices, put some of them in a container and keep them in the fridge, but most of them with baking paper leaves put them in bags with zip locks and put them in the freezer. I can always get a slice of bread and heat it for 30 seconds in the microwave. But most of all I like to sweat the bread a little bit in a skillet.
- If there is no xanthan gum it is not very scary. Thanks to the gum bread are very similar to the usual, it is cut without crumbs, like regular bread. There are several replacement options:
- Powdered Gelatin – use 1 teaspoon
- Guar Gum – use 1 teaspoon
- Chie seeds – use 1 tablespoon
- Psyllium (powder) – use 1 tablespoon (the worst option)
- Do not use xanthan gum at all – you still get a good result.
HOW TO MAKE KETO BANANA BREAD?
- Melt syrup, sweetener, and spices. Now I have used Sukrin Gold sweetener in this recipe as it adds that delicious brown sugar caramel flavour. You can use your sweeteners to start the sweeteners. So I have used it a little bit more in the batter.
- Mix in remaining ingredients. That is hard, isn’t it? I used a cup of walnuts and a cup of walnuts. I think it adds a nice crunch.